The world against me rages, its fury I disdain;
Though bitter war it wages, its work is all in vain.
My heart from care is free, no trouble troubles me.
Misfortune now is play, and night is bright as day.

--Awake, My Heart, with Gladness (Auf, Auf, Mein Herz, mit Freuden), Paul Gerhardt

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Perry Mason on his problem as defense attorney

“Once [the prosecuting attorney has] come to the conclusion the defendant is guilty, the only facts he considers significant are those which point to the guilt of the defendant.  That’s why circumstantial evidence is such a liar.  Facts themselves are meaningless.  It’s only the interpretation we give those facts which counts.”

What do you think? 

--Erle Stanley Gardner, The Case of the Perjured Parrot, 1939

No comments:

Post a Comment