The world against me rages, its fury I disdain;
Though bitter war it wages, its work is all in vain.
My heart from care is free, no trouble troubles me.
Misfortune now is play, and night is bright as day.

--Awake, My Heart, with Gladness (Auf, Auf, Mein Herz, mit Freuden), Paul Gerhardt

Thursday, September 23, 2010

The World an end, and faith a means

"Once you have made the World an end, and faith a means, you have almost won your man, and it makes very little difference what kind of worldly end he is pursuing.  Provided that meetings, pamphlets, policies, movements, causes, and crusades, matter more to him than prayers and sacraments and charity - his is ours - and the more 'religious' (on those terms), the more securely ours.  I could show you a pretty cageful down here."--Screwtape

Lewis, C.S. ; Screwtape Letters, p. 39, Touchstone, 1996 ed.

No comments:

Post a Comment